Advertisement

INFJ and Stress

topic posted Thu, July 7, 2005 - 6:07 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
I saw this article and I noticed some of myself in the text. Any other INFJ see similarities?

Source: www.teamtechnology.co.uk/mb-ty...fj.htm
Recognising Stress
As stress increases, 'learned behaviour' tends to give way to the natural style, so the INFJ will behave more according to type when under greater stress. For example, in a crisis, the INFJ might:

find a place of solitude in which to think and work
tell everyone else how well they are coping
try to solve the long term problem, and neglect the short term
make errors of fact, or ignore routine matters that might nevertheless be essential
Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFJ's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTP. Example characteristics are:

acting very impulsively, making decisions without thinking them through
doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
being critical of others, and finding fault with almost everything
being preoccupied about unimportant details and doing things that have no meaning
acting in a very materialistic and selfish way
cutting corners, breaking the rules, and even contradicting the INFJ's own values
The shadow is part of the unconscious that is often visible to others, onto whom the shadow is projected. The INFJ may therefore readily see these faults in others without recognising it in him/her self.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: INFJ and Stress

Fri, July 8, 2005 - 7:08 AM
    I find some of this to ring true, and some of it not.

I recognize that I am especially prone to wanting to "get to the root of the problem" under stress. I HATE "band-aid solutions" to anything, because I loathe coming back to deal with a problem again later, when it could have been fixed properly in the first place. So while I am looking for the "perfect fix" the patient is bleeding out, figuratively speaking.

I am real conscious of projection (the shadow side), and perhaps the learning I have gotten from them has swung me in the "opposite" direction. That is, I tend to think that EVERYthing negative I see about someone "must be a projection" of my own. So when I get feelings of someone being a "hopeless dysfunctional" I tend to immediately go to "That means *I* must be a hopeless dysfunctional" and go to work on myself, rather than on the problem at hand.

Thanks for sharing the article.
    --Peter

Recent topics in "INFJ"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
“Why INFJ and ENTP belong together: The science of love”, Chris 23 December 5, 2014
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
Best partner for the INFJ - a NTJ or a NTP? ashley 106 August 19, 2014
ENTP encounters Unsubscribed 8 August 18, 2014